Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Thinking about Durham

Hello Friends,
I mentioned this briefly the other day but I know someone who organized a program that brought George Rousse to Durham to do some projects in some of the empty buildings in the downtown area. link

It was very successful and a lot of people came out.

I emailed him today about possible alternative spaces in Durham where we could set up a gallery space for a month or so. He didn't know of anything that was free but he knew of a couple of spaces that we might could get for a fee (which hopefully wouldn't be too great). I am familiar with a couple of these spaces and they have given artists breaks in the past. Is anyone interested in pursuing this?

We could set it up to coincide with other openings and just open it up a few days a week for a month or so. I could maybe get our postcard at the desk at the Nasher and at Branch gallery.

Frank, who I asked about this, wanted to know about a time frame. Any ideas? sooner? later?

How much would people be interesting in putting in financially if we did something like this?

6 comments:

Garima said...

That sounds great Jeff. Would you make a new body of work for something like that? If not, it would really have to be after our show in the Weatherspoon. I can't imagine how much something like that would cost. Is it the same as residential apartment rent. 500/5=100$?

peter said...

Jeff, as we transition from shaved heads to pompadours my concern is volume. Really, this looks like a great way to launch. I would have definitely to make new work for such a project. I am interested, but personal destination is unknown for now. Sign me up with an escape clause. Enjoyed the link.

theSled said...

I was think about possibly around July or so. As far as cost, I have no idea. I will investigate further if enough people are interested. I was thinking primarily of using work from the MFA show with other things made between now and then.

Katie Claiborne said...

Yes, I would love to participate. Money is tight for the summer, so maybe we can figure out ways to keep it on the cheap such as making our own postcards. it sounds like a great opportunity

Katie Claiborne said...

I would definately want to use the work from the weatherspoon plus new work, but I am slooooow, so probably a lot more of the work from the spoon.

Qnomad said...

word to your mothers. sorry for the delay- my computer is broke/ has been eaten. That sounds like a great oppurtunity and I'd be willing to loosen the purse-strings for such an endeavor.